Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Learning The Australian Culture

On my previous blog, I made mention that I was transferred to Optus, which is an Australian account. Our trainer, Mike discussed the noted facts about Australia this morning.

First, its capital which is Canberra (the stress is on the first syllable... well that's somewhat new to me because previously, I'm putting the stress on the second syllable... now i know how to pronounce it right!).

Mike also showed us some of the country's best places such as The Sydney Opera House and The Uluru (others call it Ayer's Rock, notable for appearing to change colour as the different light strikes it at different times of the day and year, with sunset a particularly remarkable sight when it briefly glows red. Although rainfall is uncommon in this semiarid area, during wet periods the rock acquires a silvery-grey colour, with streaks of black algae forming on the areas that serve as channels for water flow.)


Sydney Opera House


Uluru/Ayers Rock

 He also flashed Australia's flora and fauna as well. Included  were kangaroos, koala, and the seawater crocodile which is larger than the Komodo Dragon.






The topic got intense when he introduced the vowel sounds in the Australian accent. They are somewhat similar to the British English but with a "twang" and "drawl". When he let us hear a  few words, luckily, I was able to get most of the words. There are still words I did not understand, because I'm not so into it. Their accent is thick and there is a tendency that you might write another word which sounds the same. We're just starting with the phonemes but I know there's a lot more to come.

I'm starting to love learning a new accent, will there be a time that I can call myself an Aussie??? How I wish... Hahahaha!!! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment