There is one kind of love that you don't need to set expectations and regret it in the end. That is what we call "UNCONDITIONAL LOVE". As defined in Wikipedia, it is a term that means to love someone regardless of the loved one's qualities or actions. The paradigm of unconditional love is a mother's love for her newborn. It is often used to describe the love in an idealized romantic relationship. It may sometimes also be used to describe love between family members, comrades in arms and between others in highly committed relationships.
The bible speaks about unconditional love in I Corinthians 13, and the saying goes:
"1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
Unconditional love can be considered as real love. To love someone unconditionally means that you love the person exactly as they are, exactly as they were before, and exactly as they will be in the future – because people change all the time, so if you love the person, you will love them even if they become something you disagree with.
We need to consider six ways to show unconditional love:
1) Rather than ask what a person does for a living, inquire instead what evokes joy and contributes to a meaningful life.
2) Rather than value people based on what they do, opt instead to love and accept them because they exist as they are.
3) Rather than live your life to please others, choose instead to grow to understand and learn what it is to please yourself.
4) Rather than do what is conditioned or expected, swallow your pride or fear and choose instead to do what feels right.
5) Rather than criticize, reprimand and emprison the mind, decide instead to boost esteem and praise freedom.
6) Rather than highlight drawbacks of loss, mistakes and failure, concentrate instead on the benefits of all experience.
Show and make the special people around feel our unconditional love... =)